Pleasure and transformation are the ties that bind with each other Theatreworks’ lately declared 2023-2024 year.
The new time kicks off Sept. 21 with “Steel Magnolias,” the 1987 enjoy by Robert Harling that spawned the well-known 1989 film. In this model, Colorado Springs director Lynne Hastings will established the story in a Black beauty shop, centering the joy and complications of six Black women of all ages across various generations.
“Black hair has been a big query. It is some thing to be celebrated and lifted up,” stated Theatreworks Creative Director Caitlin Lowans.
“One character is diabetic. She has troubles with becoming in a position to be expecting and bearing a child. Black maternal well being and diabetic issues are large thoughts we’re going through as a country suitable now.”
Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center reveals new 2023-2024 theater period
Shakespeare followers get observe — one of the theater company’s transformations will discover the once-a-year summer production of The Bard’s works moved indoors and into a spring time slot. “Othello” will operate April 27-May well 19, 2024, at Ent Centre for the Arts.
The purpose for the change is two-fold. Output will not have to fight the temperature, and it also presents learners a improved opportunity of attending.
“This perform is so significant ideal now with the concerns it asks about anti-blackness,” Lowans said. “’Othello’ is a regularly assigned text in significant college lecture rooms. We wished to do it at a time the place we could invite substantial college and university audiences into conversations about what the perform states now.”
In a different twist, Theatreworks will do the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical “Into the Woods” as a concert musical up coming spring. The general performance will function all of the textual content and tracks, but will be staged as a concert. Chamber Orchestra of the Springs will present the music and two learners from Colorado Springs Conservatory will star as Jack and Minor Purple.
“Not only will it be a joyous exploration of the options of the Colorado Springs musical theater scene,” Lowans said, “but it also ties with other sturdy neighborhood arts corporations undertaking terrific do the job.”
Time tickets are on sale now.
Theatreworks 2023-2024 season
• Sept. 21-Oct. 15: “Steel Magnolias,” by Robert Harling. A comedy drama that explores the bonds among six multigenerational women of all ages.
• Nov. 24-Dec. 17: “The Small Prince,” based mostly on the e book of the same name by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, tailored by Rick Cummins and John Scoullar. A Earth War II-era aviator crash lands in the Sahara desert, where by he fulfills The Minor Prince, a young place traveler, who tells the aviator tales of his visits to other planets.
• Feb. 1-18: “Dream Hou$e,” by Eliana Pipes. Two Latina sisters test to market their family household on an HGTV-style fact show, only to spiral into drama and long-held relatives insider secrets.
• March 21-24: “Into the Woods (In Concert),” by Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine. The Tony Award-profitable Broadway musical intertwines several Brothers Grimm fairy tales, like “Little Pink Driving Hood,” “Jack and the Beanstalk” and “Rapunzel.”
• April 27-Might 19, 2024: “Othello,” by William Shakespeare. In the tragedy, Othello, a Moorish army commander, has recently married Desdemona. His traitorous ensign, Iago, provokes Othello’s jealousy, producing him to get rid of his wife.
• July 11-Aug. 4, 2024: “Emperor of the Moon,” by Aphra Behn. In the 1687 farce ,a doctor’s obsession with the moon leads to the neglect of his daughter and niece.
Get in touch with the author: 636-0270
Get hold of the author: 636-0270